Chanel Riva NOTD

I knew I had to have Chanel Riva as soon as I saw the first promo pics of it last year. I absolutely ADORE baby blue polishes! I've loved them ever since I purchased my very 1st nail polish at the tender age of about 11 which was a lovely pastel blue shade from Grace Bros (I remember it so well!). My mum kindly gave me a bottle of Riva as a belated Christmas gift =D

Chanel describes Riva as "a soft oceanic blue" and was a limited edition polish from the Côte d’Azur Makeup Collection released last year. Personally I'd describe this shade as more of a sky blue with a jelly-ish finish. It doesn't really need an introduction though as I'm sure you heard all the hype about it already!

Chanel Riva

As always the bottle is one of the highlights of owning a Chanel polish. It's sleek, elegant and its square shape makes this OCD blogger very happy lol.

Photobucket

Riva contains a subtle blue shimmer that's present in the bottle but unfortunately doesn't translate onto the nail which is such a shame. I tried to capture the shimmer as best as I could in the bottle as it was impossible to capture on the nail.

Photobucket

Riva is such a stunning colour however application sure wasn't. It was an absolute PAIN IN THE BUTT to apply!! It's one of the streakiest nail polishes I've tried and there were just bald spots galore which you can just see on my pinky. The brush also didn't want to cooperate with me so my mani isn't neat at all. I attempted to do thin coats but it wasn't exactly working so I switched to thickish coats. It's lucky that the polish dried quickly or else it would take forever to finish a mani using the polish. Pictured in all photos is 4 coats topped with a coat of Color Club Vivid Intensifying topcoat.

Photobucket

Although application is terrible, the colour itself is just so summery and pretty and oh so whimsical. I LOVE this gorgeous sky blue! It is so definitely worth the hassle of 4 coats for me! If only pastel shades weren't so hard to apply =(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you can't get your hands on Riva, I've read that dupes include Eyeko Pastel Polish, China Glaze Moody Blues and Hard Candy Sky which are more readily available.

Thanks for looking!

22 comments:

  1. what a pretty color! it looks so fresh, clean, and cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful colour... but doesn't sound easy to apply :( :( :( I've had probs like that w/ Chanel np before :( :( :( they always have such lovely colours though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good on you and your skintone. :) Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it a lot, though I don't like pastels, but they are awesome for some stamping. Too bad it is so tricky to apply, but I think that that is a curse that always comes with pastel polishes =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad it doesnt apply well. It is a pretty color! Though I find it a bit plain :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you love pastel blues you should check out Nubar Baby Blue. It's a beautiful, if somewhat stark polish and it's opaque in 2 coats :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its beautiful!! Caught up on my nail polish news and was just reading about this colour and collection yesterday ^^ After reading i added this colour to my wishlist hahaha!! Gosh Chanel sure know how to create beautiful pastel colours~ I seem to love all of their pastel-ish greens and blues keke~

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely polish and i love the swatch you included! will definitely check out the alternatives because riva didnt launch with the recent chanel collection here in canada. i did pick up pearl drop though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard how streaky it is too - but it's an absolutely gorgeous color!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous girl, your Mom rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame about the shimmer not showing up on the nail, I would've loved that. But it's still a beautiful polish and it looks SO good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a gorgeous colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that color! It's so pretty! I can't believe it took that many coats to apply! My Chanel Blue Satin was okay with 1 coat, probably because it is a darker color or something? o.o

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sucks that for such an expensive polish you still can't avoid dodgy formulas. The colour is very pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so pretty! :)
    I love how your swatches are so clear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Priscilla: It's such a pretty colour I didn't want to change my mani!

    @Mez: It was so difficult to apply but I just love the colour. I only have 1 other Chanel polish and it was really hard to apply too. I totally agree that the colours are so lovely!

    @Rachel Marie: Awwww thanks Rachel! I think I need some more baby blue polishes =p

    ReplyDelete
  17. @colorfulbottle: I find pastels always difficult to apply! I haven't tried pastels for stamping yet but I definitely will now =) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    @Thifa: I wish the shimmer would show up on the nail as it would have made the polish more interesting.

    @Jade Carver: Oh thank you so much for letting me know about it! I'll definitely look into it =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Donna: I love all their pastels too Donna =p They're just so gorgeous!

    @christine: I'm so glad you liked the swatches Christine! That's disappointing Canada didn't have this shade, it's beautiful. Oooh Pearl Drop is gorgeous so have fun with it!

    @Winnie: For me it's worth the streaky application. It's just too pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Freshie: She definitely does! When she's not nagging me to stop buying polish though lol.

    @AmyGrace: Awww thanks Amy! =) I wish the shimmer was more evident on the nail to give it something different compared to other pastel blue polishes.

    @StealMyHeartLovee: I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Alice: I really hate doing more than 3 coats but it's such a nice colour! Yeah pastels are always so difficult to apply =( I find most of them are streaky but I still love them!

    @Danielle: Yeah I was expecting a lot more from a Chanel polish but pastels are notorious for being difficult to apply. Even Chanel aren't immune!

    @*~kAy~*: Thank you so much Kay! I appreciate that you took the time to comment on my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. its a beautiful color too bad about the application, but since it dries fast thats a plus!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. so you're just like me :) i've got my first polish as a gift for my 3rd birthday, i know that's not good wearing nail polishes at that age ,considering the chemicals... however the adults around me were clearly unaware of this but they had no other choice, i was a nail polish/beauty addict :D and one of the first nail polishes i bought for myself like at the age of 7-8 was a baby blue :D then followed a super cute pink nail polish :) i regret having thrown them away when they went bad :( i could have kept them as a souvenir :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment! I love reading your feedback and suggestions and truly appreciate each and every comment. I try to respond to all my questions as soon as I can in the comments so make sure to check back later.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS.

'chelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...