OPI Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides collection Review and Swatches

Today I have swatches for you of the new OPI Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides collection. I was very kindly sent the mini set and a bottle of Silver Shatter to try and I couldn't WAIT to try them out! If you've seen preview pics of this collection you'll understand why I was so eager to try them out - 6 pretty pastel cremes + the awesome Silver Shatter! Need I say more! Plus I'm a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise as I love myself a bit of Johnny Depp as much as the next girl although I'm disappointed Orlando Bloom isn't in this instalment =( I do find the choice of pastel colours a little strange for a collection inspired by pirates.. I don't recall many pastel hues in the first 3 movies but hey I ain't complaining!

Photobucket

What they say:

"Get your sword and parrot ready for some swashbuckling style with the creation of OPI’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides inspired nail lacquers featuring six limited edition cool pastel lacquer shades and the new Silver Shatter top coat.

Whilst The Pirates of the Caribbean shades will be the ‘must have’ colours for spring, the real treasure trove is the new crackling shimmery two-texture silver finish know as Silver Shatter topcoat.

OPI’s The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides lacquers were inspired by a
world filled with mythical mermaids, gleaming treasure, and high-seas adventure, with shades ranging from sage and lavender to khaki gray and pastel pink, evocative colours within a tropical setting, with a classic nautical influence."

I haven't tried any of the OPI minis before and I think they're so darn cute! They are 3.5mls (1/8 Fl.Oz) compared to the regular 15mls (0.5 Fl.Oz).

Photobucket

On to the swatches! For reference, all polishes are swatched using CND Stickey as basecoat and no topcoat.

Skull & Glossbones: A gorgeous light grey with a hint of beige/khaki. My 2nd favourite out of the minis. I know the collection is supposed to be for Summer but I can definitely see myself wearing Skull & Glossbones in the cooler months! This is quite close in colour to Stranger Tides. It applied very smoothly and was surprisingly opaque and non-streaky. 2 coats pictured.

OPI Skull & Glossbones

With a coat of Silver Shatter:
Photobucket

Planks a Lot: A lovely pastel lavender blurple!! Boy was this tricky to capture so I had to tweak the colour in my pics a little. On the nail, it's somewhat darker than the bottle colour. It's also somewhat sheer so I had to use thicker coats to elimiate VNL. Word of warning: Planks a Lot stained my skin so be careful! 2 coats pictured.

OPI Planks a Lot

With a coat of Silver Shatter:
Photobucket

Sparrow Me the Drama: A cool rosy pink. Not the most unique shade but it's quite toned down and is very sweet. Just the type of pink I like ;) This would have to be my favourite of the minis because besides being very pretty it applied EXTREMELY well for a pastel pink polish - no balding or streaking whatsoever which is fantastic! 2 coats pictured.

OPI Sparrow Me the Drama

With a coat of Silver Shatter:
Photobucket

Stranger Tides: A light sage or "oyster with a green hue" as it's described by OPI. It's kind of a muted khaki creme with yellow undertones. I'm not a huge fan of these shades but I didn't mind Stranger Tides on me. It applied well and easily. 2 coats pictured.

OPI Stranger Tides

With a coat of Silver Shatter:
Photobucket

Overall: An awesome collection from OPI! I'm very pleased with the polishes I was sent. The formula on each of the polishes I tried was superb - they applied very smoothly and I had none of the issues associated normally with pastel hues such as balding or streaking etc. They were very opaque needing only 2 coats and minimal cleanup was required. Dry time was quick and they dried to a very glossy finish as you can see in my photos. Even though I tried the mini bottles, application was relatively easy with the smaller brushes. As I have huge nail beds, I was worried I'd have to use up half the bottle to cover my nails but I needn't have worried!

Silver Shatter - oh how I love thee! It is super blingy and textured and the perfect addition to the Shatter family. It dries to a semi matte finish and shatters within seconds. I found it a little thicker in texture than Black Shatter but still very easy to apply and it doesn't feel thick on the nail. It looks even more amazing with topcoat however for my swatches I wanted to show them without it so you know what it's like straight from the bottle. I'm strange like that ok??!

The only disappointment of this collection for me would be that the colours they chose for the collection didn't really showcase Silver Shatter to it's full potential. Just a small thing but the colours are quite light so you can't see the Shatter effect until your quite close. I've swatched it over a black creme and let me tell you it's AMAZING! Anyway, you all know I absolutely ADORE pastel colours and I think these are wonderful! The names are cute too and are a great way to tie in with the release of Pirates of the Carribean 4. I'm a girl who loves to matchy match so I am definitely going to be rocking one of these shades when I watch the movie! I am dying to get my hands on the other 2 colours in the collection Steady as She Rose and Mermaid's Tears now =)

The limited-edition OPI Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides collection will be available from May 1st 2011 at selected salons and David Jones for $19.95. For stockists contact 1800 358 999 or visit www.opi.net.au

A big thank you to Lisa for sending me the above polishes to sample! I was sent the above products for my consideration but this in no way influenced my review in any way. As always, my reviews are my 100% honest opinion.

Are you looking forward to this collection? What colours have you got your eye on? I hope my swatches have made it a little easier for you to decide! Thanks for looking as always and don't forget to enter my Glitter Gal giveaway!

36 comments:

  1. There really pretty! Love the Pink and purple with the Silver shatter!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am dying to try Silver Shatter! I agree that the pastel colours don't allow Silver Shatter to really show, maybe it would look good over a metallic of some sort? I'll have to give it a go when it is released! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW i am over the moon with this collection. i need that silver shatter in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of them!!!!!
    http://misstarshiny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I see swatches the more I want each one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really didn't like cracked polish until I saw that silver one!!! I need it in my life!! XD I like this collection xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did think pastels were a weird match with The Pirates of the Caribbean but I do like these polishes anyway. The silver shatter is the best of the bunch though... wasn't into black shatter at all but this one is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG so excited! I want that silver shatter!!!! Not a big fan of pastels tho.

    http://bellaaddict.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need them all!
    It's hard to pick a favourite.
    But I do agree with a previous commenter - I don't think the colours are really Pirates of the Caribbean inspired, but still pretty anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm impressed! I think I need these. They all look beautiful on you. I love the silver on pink combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooow damn.....anotehr collection I "have" to own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This collection is stunning!

    The silver shatter rocks, and Sparrow Me the Drama is the cutest pink ever. I think it'd look adorable with white konad flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The silver crackle is the best crackle colour so far!! It looks awesome and so chic!
    I loved it with this collection, I think it kinda suited the pastels, but I believe it when you say that it looks really good with black too. I wish I could get my hands on one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely need that silver shatter in my life, it is gorgeous! And over the top of the pink it is really breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh I love Planks a Lot and Stranger Tides...everything looks amazing with Silver Shatter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely colours, but the most amazing is silver shatter! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I LOVE the Skull and Glossbones with silver shatter... will get this toot sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I NEED Skull & Glossbones and Planks A Lot (it's just dusty enough to be different from the rest of my pastel purples). Skull & Glossbones is my favorite. I agree that the silver shatter will look really awesome over darker colors, and I never really understood why they are releasing it with this collection. It could have fared better with the Serena Williams collections. Nonetheless, I'm DEFINITELY buying it, and I'm counting down the days until it's released. It will look great over my darker colors, and I think it'll be a great polish to spring/summerize darker colors that may be considered fall/winter colors without the shatter. It's just sparkly and light enough to do so! Great swatches (as always)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow i really need to get my hands on that silver shatter! love it!

    and i love the pastel colours that opi has released in this collection, <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. The silver shatter is amazing! I agree that it would look better over darker colors. The other colors are pretty as well and I really like Stranger Tides.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i want all the colors! they all look so pretty and lovely on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. They're really pretty shades of pastels ^^ And I agree, Silver Shatter would looks so much better over brighter, bolder colours! Can't wait to see your combos :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow love the collection!! I want all of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The silver shatter is soo pretty! I cant wait to see it over some darker colours, I bet it looks amazing :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't wait to try this collection myself!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The OPI silver shatter looks amazing on top of the purple and pink nail polish!!! Gotta look out for it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look great! I can't wait to try out Silver Shatter!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing, 'chelle! I love the silver shatter! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I've just died with how amazing these polishes are. I'm screaming my house down. Thanks for the review babe!

    Haute Style

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stranger tides and Silver Shatter are gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm glad you enjoyed the swatches ladies!! Not too long before Silver Shatter is released now =D I'm sure you'll all have just as much fun with it as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are freaking cute! I linked your blog on my twitter :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. All of a sudden like this collection haha might get it xD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment! I love reading your feedback and suggestions and truly appreciate each and every comment. I try to respond to all my questions as soon as I can in the comments so make sure to check back later.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS.

'chelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...