Tutorial: Pink fruit salad fimo manicure

Hi ladies! Today I have for you my first proper nail art tutorial! It's a bright, fun and summery fruit salad manicure using the fimo canes I showed you yesterday. We had a week long heatwave here in Sydney last week and I thought these nails would be perfect to compliment the steaming HOT weather!

I'm going to show you how quick and simple nail art can be. You don't have to go as crazy as I did with the fimo in my manicure but I wanted something over the top and summery so I went all out =D You can go with fimo on just an accent nail or one or two on each nail, whatever you prefer!

Photobucket

What you'll need:
* Base coat
* Base colour of your choice
* Glitter polish (optional)
* Clear polish
* Topcoat
* Rhinestones
* Fruit fimo slices or other fimo slices of your choice (see my tutorial on how to prepare them)
* Cuticle stick/toothpick

Photobucket

Step 1. Apply basecoat to protect your natural nails
Here I've used one coat of Color Club Vitabase Nutrient Nail Strengthener. I use basecoat for EVERY single manicure I do (except for holos) yet I still have staining. BOO =( Please ignore it.

Photobucket

Step 2. Apply a base colour
Apply 1-2 coats of your chosen base colour. I'd suggest something bright but whatever you like is fine! Here I've applied a coat of OPI Alpine Snow and then 2 coats of retina searing neon pink - Color Club Jackie Oh!. A big thank you to Rob from Color Club NZ for providing me with my bottle! It is SUCH an awesome colour and my pics don't do it justice as I took my pics at night. It's a REALLY intense bright pink neon, perfect for Summer!

One of my patients today suggested I use a black base next time to really make the fimo pop. Someone please try it!

Photobucket

Step 3. Apply a glitter polish
I wanted some shimmer so I applied a coat of China Glaze Fairy Dust. This step is optional.

Photobucket

At this point in my mani, I like to arrange my fimo slices and rhinestones on a piece of paper in front of me so I can easily grab them to position on my nails. I lay out what I want for each finger in little piles - 10 piles for 10 nails, 2 if I'm only putting fimo on 2 nails etc. I forgot to show you a pic of this but you'll see from the next few pics what I mean.

Step 4. Apply clear polish to the end of a cuticle stick
This is so you can pick up the fimo slices to place on the nail. You don't have to use a cuticle stick for this - you can use a toothpick, pencil or anything that has a point. The clear polish can be any old clear polish - it can be your topcoat, anything. I prefer to use Rimmel 60 seconds polish in clear as it works wonderfully for me. My nail art items never fall off and have to be pried off my nails when I remove my polish!

Photobucket

Step 5. Apply clear polish to the nail
Do this step one finger at a time as you need the polish to be wet to enable the fimo slices to adhere to the nail. You could also use nail glue if you prefer.

Photobucket

Step 6. Use the cuticle stick which you've loaded with clear polish to pick up the fimo slice
You may need to reapply clear polish to the cuticle stick as you go.

Photobucket

Step 7. Position the fimo cane where you want it on your nail
Use the cuticle stick or your fingers to help lay the the slices flat on to your nails. Continue adding fimo and rhinestones until you've achieved your desired look. For this mani I applied silver rhinestones but you could use any colour. You could also add some half pearls too!

Photobucket

Step 8. Apply your favourite topcoat to seal your nails
Here I've used 2 coats of my HG topcoat Color Club Vivid Color Intensifying topcoat.

Photobucket

Manicure complete!

Photobucket
Oops you can see me in my pjs here! =p
Photobucket

I hope you like it and that you'll try my manicure out! What would you like to see next?

Thanks for looking!

44 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! Do your nails hold up at work? I imagine if I wore nails like that to work they would fall off straight away :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. v nyc..... i want a few fimo sticks :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hands are so elegant. <3 I love the mani too! :) I would eat now watermelon, nomnomnom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg awesome nails and really easy to follow tutorial! i need some fimo, but i definitely want to try something like this in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great tutorial! I recently received some fimo flowers, but I was hesitant to use them! Now I won't be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mez: Thanks Mez!!!! They normally do but I was really rough with my hands today so they did chip =( But the fimo slices didn't fall off though!

    @BellasUnhaseCia: Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @SuGaR: Definitely pick yourself up some fimo sticks!

    @mélia: Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ivana: Awww thank you for your sweet comment Ivana! I'm glad you like the mani!

    @Andreea: Thanks Andreea =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Christine: Thanks Christine! Definitely try it out. I'd love to see your version =)

    @Jess: Awww I'm so happy you found the tutorial helpful! Yup definitely no need to be hesitant to use them =) Can't wait to see how you use them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so fruity I love it, reminds me of summer. And I want some fruit now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for posting this! I have so much femo lying around and I can't find a mani I REALLY like using it- but this is PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute, can't wait for summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute result, I don't think it's over the top :) Perfect for spring <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Thanks for such a detailed tutorial :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING!! Absolutely gorguz huny! And I'm sooo very glad you did this tutorial... lol! :) can't wait to get going with those fimo canes! Thank you so much sweety!

    Love Aysh xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I always see the fimo slices at stores but I wasn't sure exactly how to use them so this really helped. I really like the fruit, and now I'm going to have to go buy some! I also love your ring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun and fruity mani! I can't ever get fimo to lay flat =(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tutorial turned out beautifully! So cheery and summery. I agree that a black base could be very striking; usually I see fimo (especially fruit) used on bright, warm colours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial! It looks really simple but the results are so adorable and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so freaking cute XD Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is mega cute :D i have a lot of fimo canes that i havent played with yet i think i will get them out soon hhehe

    shel xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW you are sooooo talented. I absolutely love this look. I think you have just given me a new addiction ...... FIMO. Do you have some recommendations on where to buy the sticks?

    Keep up the good work beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute mani Chelle!! You must have gotten lots of compliments from this ^^
    I bought some fimo clay last year but I've still yet to use them. Fruity nails are definitely very summery and you're take on them are so girly too - perfect for Valentine's Day =] haha and omg last week's heat wave totally melted me ahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Diana: Thanks Diana! That's why I saved this mani until Summer =)

    @Rachel Marie: I'm glad I could give you an example of how to use it Rachel! I find fimo soooo much fun.

    @Suz: Thanks Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Spaceinvaders: LOL I don't think they would take very good.

    @Danielle: Thanks Danielle! Not too long until Summer comes for you ;) I wish Summer would hang around for longer!

    @Jette Fromm: I'm glad you think so =) I got some looks from my workmates with so much colour on my nails lol.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Steph: No worries! I like attention to detail =p

    @Aysh: Thank you so much hun!!! I hope it helps you! Can't wait to see what you do with it ;)

    @ameliaadelle: I'm glad my tutorial is useful for you! Hopefully it'll give you a little idea of what you can do - the designs are endless! Definitely get some fruit ones, as I said they are my fave and the ones I use the most.
    Hehe thanks hun I love my ring too! My bf gave it to me =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Freshie: I try to cut them as thin as possible and also press them down after I've applied them on the nail. They can be tricky to use sometimes!

    @Danielle: Thanks Danielle! =) I never even thought to use it on black so I was pleasantly surprised by my patient's suggestion!

    @Angela: Cheers Angela! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Jade: Awwww thank you Jade!

    @Irishenchantment: I agree, definitely get them out and play with! They're so fun and look great =)

    @Kimmi: You make me blush Kimmi! Fimo can definitely be an addiction. I've spent hours searching for particular designs x) You can get them on eBay or also on Born Pretty Store!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Stacie: Thanks Stacie.

    @Jackie S: LOL!

    @Donna: I got comments on it for being so colourful and over the top =p

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there, this is Tammerly from Pink Diva's Beauty Spot... this is my first visit to your blog and I love it! You are soooo clever with nail art, how do you find the patience? It does my head in just painting my nails alone haha!
    Tammerly

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Tammerly: Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment Tammerly! LOL nail art is how I relax so I'm pretty patient MOST of the time =p

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow thanks for these two tutorials. They where great and really made me want to try it out. Very easy to understand, although it is much more difficult when you try it. It looks so nice on your nails.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome!! :D This would look so cool in the summer ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ahhh, this is seriously amazing!

    I only discovered your blog today and have been reading through the archive and I think this is my favourite of all your posts :)

    Really inspiring!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. real nice! i can't wait to try out my fimos!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are so cute! :) I got inspiration from these nails and will post my notd later today.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hey chelle i love fimo canes they rock i am definately gonna buy them bt (but) could you make more tutorials on fimos plz thnx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment! I love reading your feedback and suggestions and truly appreciate each and every comment. I try to respond to all my questions as soon as I can in the comments so make sure to check back later.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS.

'chelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...