My nail polish storage - updated

I've moved back home into my new room so I thought it called for new nail polish storage. I still absolutely love the clear storage boxes that I used (see my previous nail polish storage post) however my polish collection has expanded to the point that boxes are stored here and there in my room which was annoying the crap out of me. Like I've said, I am way OCD about organising stuff. I couldn't organise the boxes the way I wanted them so I finally caved and bought myself an Ikea Helmer!

Photobucket

I picked white because it matches the rest of the furniture in my room. Besides going halves with me for the Helmer (I was still ummmming and ahhhing in the store which the boy HATES so he said he'd help out just to get me out of the store I think!) the boy was also very kind and assembled it for me =D After assembling it he said that he doubted I could have assembled it myself what with the folding of metal etc.. I couldn't agree with him more after seeing the instruction booklet!

While I was at Ikea purchasing my Helmer, I picked up a roll of Rationell Variera drawer mat which you can use to line drawers for pots and pans etc. I bought it so that my polishes wouldn't slip and slide when I pull the drawers out but according to the Ikea website it's main purpose is to protect drawers against scratching and also to dampen sound.

Photobucket

It's clear and comes in a roll which you then cut to size yourself. I placed one of the empty drawers on top of the mat, marked the size and then cut out accordingly. The 1st piece was trial and error to get the exact size so cut out more than you need and then trim to fit is my suggestion.

Photobucket

I almost gave up using it. The curl is SO strong that even after 2 nights of being flattened by 4 of my 5kg nursing textbooks it was still curling up. I was ready to throw them out in frustration and for having wasted $3.99 (special price with the Ikea Family card!) but my sis suggested I Google a solution. Lucky I did! One of the tips I looked up suggested soaking cut out sheets into hot water to flatten it. I did this for about 3-5minutes per sheet which flattened them mostly. For extra measure I stuck them under my textbooks overnight again. Worked like a charm! Then I lined the bottom of each drawer with them.

Photobucket

I decided to organise my collection by brand, collection and where the polishes are from. I like to have polishes in their neat little families ok =p

On the top of my helmer I've got my manicure essentials box, removers, nail stamping plates and cotton pads and tips. My nail dryer isn't shown in the pic but I keep it on top as well:

Photobucket

1st drawer holds treatments (base and top coats, hardeners, cuticle softeners etc.), konad polishes, nail art stripers and nail wheels:

Photobucket

2nd drawer is China Glaze polishes:

Photobucket

3rd drawer is OPI, Color Club, Essie, Orly and misc. higher end polishes:

Photobucket

4th drawer is for my lovely European polishes - Catrice, Essence, Barry M, Hema, Art Deco, S-he etc.:

Photobucket

5th drawer is for my awesome American and Asian polishes - Sinful Colors, Claire's, Sally Hansen, Rimmel, Pa, Elianto etc.:

Photobucket

And the lucky bottom drawer is for my Aussie polishes! Ulta 3, BYS, Glitter Gal etc. I actually have about double the amount shown here but I've lent them to girls at work. It crossed my mind to ask for them back for a night just for this post but I couldn't very well do that haha =p

Photobucket

I am so happy I got my Helmer! It is a great solution for nail storage and it is so sleek and compact. At the rate I'm going buying nail polish I will probably need another one next year which is definitely not good! o_O

I want to mention that I've updated my blog with some pages at the top including a "where to buy" guide on my best kept places to buy nail polish - both international and local brands. The guide is mainly geared towards Sydney ladies but includes my favourite online sellers too.

I hope you enjoyed this post! Don't forget to enter my Polished Pink for October giveaway here!

35 comments:

  1. wow that's a lot of polish i love your new storage it looks really net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. And you are so very organized! I have organizational envy! I think I NEED a helmer. :)

    I looked up your plastic storage from before and that's the point I'd like to get to. Right now I'm storing everything in two enormous tool boxes.

    And a nail drier is totally on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So colorful and neat :D Yes OCD-ness!! Love your organization!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa Chelle that helmer looks awesome!! The Rationelle Variera kinda looks like bubble wrap XD

    It looks completely awesome storing all your polishes like this :) I feel really happy when I see stuff thats been stored super neat, thats why I love Ikea catalogues and home decor sections in mags/newspapers. It takes me days to clean my room cos every other day I end up throwing stuff all over the place =_=;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!You are so neat and organized!!Great storage drawers and with so much space!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, everything looks so organised! And it's almost full already! I suspect you'll need a second one soon XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. This elmer is amazing... Does Ikea sell it full of polishes?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to buy 2 or more Helmers! Very neat and so nicely organized. Good idea about Googling that liner. I would never have though about putting it in hot water. Glad to learn something new. I just can't decide how to organize my polishes. By color or by company. I have mine in 2 plastic drawers which have 6 drawers each. Also about 10 large plastic containers. I'd rather them in a Helmer. It does look much neater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow love the organisation I need something like that too.
    My desk has one drawer and make up, beauty stuff and nail stuff is all stuffed in there, it's like exploding Y_Y

    Love how you always organize stuff. I like it clean and sorted too.
    gotta check my next ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, you have so much nail polish, I'm so jealous of you! I only have one drawer filled with nail polish but you have loads.
    Looks like a great way to get some room for your polishes, maybe one day my Mom might get me one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I`ve said it on someone elses blog before...if I see someones Helmer like this...I wanna come over and touch and try everything :S It`s making me very happy, almost like a little 6yr old haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great collection you have!
    just a question: I have a Helmer too, so wanted to know if the plastic roll Rationell Variera solution works..I mean, that stuff really prevent your bottles to go everywhere and move all around when you open the drawers? I organized my polishes by colours too, even in every each drawer, but it came out sort of vain effort as they move every time I open it!xD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your collection! you have so many and it's so organized! :)

    -Mia
    http://miafied.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I wish I had room for a vanity/storage centre but unfortunately I don't. I do need to come up with a new storage system for my polishes though since they are currently overflowing out of the plastic containers I have them in!

    http://alison-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your storage system! Motivates me to be more organized :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woaa.. You got a lot!! I like it!

    But is this all for your nail polishes & nail stuff..
    I wish I had so much :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy Moley that is ALOT of nailpolish!!!! Love the storage idea, so neat and tidy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great collection! I would definetely "steal" some if I were closer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL I have such a lady boner for organisation posts like this. I barely have any polish but I plan on getting a Helmer eventually to inspire me to continue my collection (as I've just started).

    I really like how you've sorted by brand and collection, rather than colour. I think it looks more complete like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks great and really easy to find what you need now. I love storage posts.
    I am your latest follower xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a truly a clever solution for your gorgeous collection! Nice one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. thats awesum...
    followin u..nice blog..
    check out mine too..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your storage! Love your nail polishes stash
    I need too

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Bless (Vhlesz): Thanks Bless! I'm glad you like it =)

    @JQ: LOL I got it too seeing other ladies Helmers so I just had to get one myself. Definitely try the storage boxes. With a smaller amount of polishes they are fantastic! And my nail drier is a must for every mani I do so do get one!

    @Steph: Hehe I am a neat freak what can I say =p I have the tidiest desk at work that everyone says I don't actually do work haha.

    @Donna: Yeah it reminds me of bubble wrap too! I love bubble wrap btw haha. Oh yeah I love super organised stuff too! Ikea is one of my favourite stores because the solutions are just out of this world.

    @Blushingloves: Thanks hun! I love to have things organised and the helmer is perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Christina: I knoooooow! That was what I was afraid of =p I must stop buying!

    @Alice: LOL! Only if you ask them nicely Alice! ;)

    @Lucy: I'm so glad I googled it because otherwise it would have gone to waste. They work wonderfully now! I had the exact same dilemma Lucy and I went with company so they look neater and can be in their collections. Get a Helmer!

    Thank you also for stopping by and commenting!

    @Mae: Thank you Mae!

    @Monika: Definitely go to Ikea and check out what they have! My polishes were exploding out of the plastic containers and just annoyed me sooo much. I have to have neat and tidy otherwise I can't function =p

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Annkiins: Patience my dear! Once you start working and don't have time to shop in stores you will just go crazy online =S But seriously you don't want this much nail polish! I have soooo many untrieds that every time it's such a dilemma what to use next! Hope your mum will get you one in the future!

    @Martje: Lol don't worry I always feel the same seeing other people's photos too!

    @Vi: Yes the Rationell Variera does work! As long as you don't open the drawers with super force I find my polishes stay put. I'd definitely recommend trying it =) I hope that helps you Vi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting too!

    @Mia: Yes I have waaaay too many! Glad you like it!

    @alison*elle: If and when you do get room I say go for a helmer. It is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Jo: I'm so glad it got you motivated to organise! Hehe I love influencing others *evil laugh* Glad you like it =p Thanks for stopping by Jo!

    @M: Yes I do have a lot.. too much according to my family! Yep that's all I have in polishes but I do have more nail art things like rhinestones, stickers etc which I store in a plastic toolbox.

    @Sarah: I don't take credit for using the helmer, I saw other lovely ladies with them and knew I wanted one!

    @Ivana: If we lived closer to one another you would be MOST welcome to come over and "steal" polishes Ivana! I think we have similar taste in colours because I always love your manicures =D

    @Danielle: Oh how I love your comment!! I love organisation posts too don't worry lol. Good luck with your polish collection! Once you start it's so hard to stop let me tell you. Glad you like how I've sorted them too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Nail-Gloss: Thank you =)

    @nicoletta: Storing my polishes in the helmer has definitely made finding polishes easier. Thank you so much for following my blog Nicoletta! I appreciate it!

    @Nikki: Thanks Nikki! It was after seeing other ladies post pics of their helmers that made me want one!

    @bhumika: Thanks and welcome to my blog.

    @Dhini: I'm glad you like it Dhini! I'd love to see your storage for your polishes too =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG u have so many polish ,i love them,unfortunaly i have only half of drawer with nails polish,i hope i will win the contest to improve,bye

    ReplyDelete
  30. @albastrikmik: Oh there is nothing wrong with half a drawer of polishes! I bet they are lovely polishes. Good luck in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wowww what a nice storage and woww love the nailpolish :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I love your collection, I wish I had one that big :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment! I love reading your feedback and suggestions and truly appreciate each and every comment. I try to respond to all my questions as soon as I can in the comments so make sure to check back later.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS.

'chelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...